7/06/2013

150 Movies in 90 Days: Despicable Me 2

July 6- #32, Despicable Me 2

I watched the All 4 One video for "I Swear" and was disappointed they weren't all wearing white and rolling around on a hill.

 
So, I never saw the original Despicable Me, and the trailer for the sequel was freaking terrible. With annoying music and an all-around spazzy vibe, it seemed like it was put together by Robin Williams on a caffeine binge. However, I also realized that when I can combine my dadly duties with my quest to watch a buttload of movies, it's a good thing. So off I went with the kids to see Despicable Me 2.

And holy crap, it was actually funny! It wasn't that the script was inherently clever or that the situations were exceedingly comical, but it's hard to think of an animated movie that has done physical comedy better than this one did in the last few years.

The minions? Freaking awesome. And there were some other great scenes, too, particularly when Gru first meets Lucy Wilde, or when Gru goes on an ill-advised date. Unless your comedic tastes are really high-brow, you'll at least get a chuckle out of the wonderfully-animated pratfalls and bloopers. Did I mention the minions are hilarious? I don't care if their voices are ripped right out of the Worms video games or not, they're funny.

There are also some beautifully plotted and animated action sequences, and the production altogether is top-notch. You can tell that Universal dumped over $75 million into this thing. Sure, Steve Carrell sounds more like Adam Sandler doing one of his rather annoying voices, and the film doesn't exactly do anything new. Still, it made my kids and I laugh together, and maybe that makes me impossibly biased, but to me that's one of the most important things an animated family film can do. Grade: B+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment